Saturday, February 17, 2007

Blog Post 3

In the readings for last weekend there was an article all about instant messaging in libraries. I know that this hasn't always been the most popular thing with libraries and librarians.
I personally think that IM is great way to attract some of the teens and tweens to the library. It makes the staff more approachable in that they can ask questions without the pressure of standing in front the reference desk where all their peers can see them. Some kids here at my library would probably like to IM me from home and have a conversation. IM could be a great marketing tool for just this demographic. We get the little kids and then the adults, but it sure is hard to hold onto those teens...

I found it interesting though that this articles specifically mentions the corporate world as well. From personal experience, I know that my mother (who works for Shell Oil in Houston) uses MSN messenger as a way to keep in easy contact with her co-workers in the company and with the help desk. She also uses it as an easy way to communicate with her various customers that are located within the state and as far away as the Netherlands. It is a cheaper way to talk than the telephone and a great way to conference with several people.

As for using instant messaging as a reference tool, many libraries are using it. Elmhurst College library has been using IM for a while. Last spring I had Susan Sword Steffens as an instructor in academic libraries and she told our class that though IMing would not replace traditional reference, it was a tool that her students did use.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kristen,
This is an interesting idea. I read Michael's "Instant Message Me" article and it was the first time I had every really entertained the idea of providing virtual reference services from the library. I think you're right in that Instant Messaging would capture the attention of certain patron demographics and provide a more "modern" perception of librarians. I also agree that it could really help in the corporate sector, where time is severely limited due to meetings, conference calls and crises.

What is disappointing to me is that a lot of the large corporations I am aware of have put the kabosh on not only all social software but also on instant messaging programs. In fact, many coporate sites use filters which prevent access of normal information that might be needed to perform your job. For example, at my company, I cannot pull up a well-known university's library website but I can shop online at JcPenney, one of our major competitors. Long term, this causes a moral disconnect between me and my company, especially since this filtering and blockage of social software follows the layoff of 4 40-hour-a-week degreed librarians who were relaced with 1 non-degreed 32-hour-a-week temp.

In an environment like this, where instant messaging could prove INVALUABLE to a company that is the 3rd largest retailer in America and employs the bulk of its employees at remote locations, it has been shut down without being thought through.

Kristen said...

I also agree that it is foolish the filters that many corporate offices have put on their networks. I wonder what would happen if my mother attempted to use another instant messanging program while at work? MSN is the one that they currently use. I know that my aunt works for the city of Rockford and I couldn't access my free web based email from her computer...

I'm glad that you agree with me about the instant messaging for reference. It is the way of the future!