Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Blogpost #4 Video technologies

I just witnessed some kids using technology creatively today at work. They were totally filming themselves and Internet content via their video cell phones. I do wonder how kids half my age can have such items, but they were being creative. I wonder if by filming animations from the web onto their phones would considered copyright violation. I did not run up and reprimand them simply because I was interested in what they were doing. That's the great thing about technology today. It has the unique quality of empowering every day people to create things. I would not have even thought such things would be possible at the age that these kids are now.

As how to apply video technology to libraries, I wonder what patrons would think if their local library had videos of daily tasks online. I think our patrons would be interested to know how a new book is processed before it hits the library shelves. Or there could even be a video about how an interlibrary loan book gets to and from respective libraries. Or in our case, what the after school kids (ASK) program does each day. I think that these are interesting ideas and ones that could probably be implemented relatively cheaply. I mean if 13 year olds can create videos, why can't the library? :)


What think the rest of you?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, It's me Alexis from class. I think video on web sites in a library is great. Personally, I wish as I go do my job search that more libraries offered interactive video tours so I could see the place before I interview, especially when you are applying to east coast jobs. You could also offer video poetry and theatrical readings online (see my podcast).